Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Quiet Book Finish - The Book Covers

Around Christmas of 2012, I made three quiet books for my son and my oldest two nephews.  Although they were a lot of fun to make, they were also very time consuming.  As much as I wanted to make more of these, I just didn't have the time to devote to making more.  I had also promised my husband that I wouldn't make more until I did have the time to make them without taking time away from him and Little Bear.  Fast forward to January of 2014 and now I finally have the time to make more quiet books.  I just needed someone to make a quiet book for.  It just so happened that two different people close to me both requested that I put together quiet books for their littles.  Hurray!!
I still loved many of the page layouts from the original three quiet books I made, but I wanted to add in / switch out a few page layouts for some fun pages I had come across on Pinterest.  After much deliberation, I finally narrowed the page layouts down to 10 pages plus the covers for each book.  The two books also have a few pages that are different from the other book because I wanted each book to be personal to the little receiving the book.
It took a while to get them all put together because I would work on them a little at a time in between my other projects so they wouldn't get overwhelming.  Finally, last week I finished these beauties up!  Hurray!  I decided that instead of overwhelming you with a huge post about the quiet books, I'd break it down for you.  So for today, I'm going to be showing off the covers that I made for each quiet book.
First up is the quiet book I made for a little boy:
This little guy's nursery had been done in a woodland animals type theme, so this cover seemed perfectly fitting. 
I added a buckle clip to the cover which will make it great for keeping the book all together.
I love how the tree on the front cover turned out.  I had seen a few different people make tree layouts for their quiet books and I really liked this technique of adding texture to the tree trunk and branches.
And how cute is this little hedgehog down in the corner of the front page?  I really love that the googly eye is a sew in googly eye (which by the way are surprisingly hard to find!). 
Up next is the quiet book that I made for a little girl.  Doesn't the front cover just scream girly?  I love that because I don't usually get a chance to make gifts for little girls, so putting this together was a lot of fun. 
I left the outside edge of the wings on the butterflies detached so that there is a lovely 3-D aspect to this front cover. 
For the two felt flowers, I kept them pretty simple compared to the really complex felt flowers out there that you can make.  But I like them and they still add a nice texture and pop of fun to the front cover. 
Well, that wraps up the front covers.  Stayed tuned as I'll be posting more about the rest of the pages I made for these two quiet books over the coming weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment