Thursday, April 3, 2014

Quiet Book - Page 4: Colors of the Rainbow

ROY G BV - yup, those initials are how I learned the order of the colors of the rainbow.  But I figured that putting those initials on a page wouldn't be a very fun way for a little one to begin learning colors.  I wanted a page that showed all the colors of the rainbow without it being boring, and a quiet book page posted by Amber Mea at Amber May Be was my inspiration for the page I created.  
Using some imagination, I came up with different little characters or symbols to sew under each flap that are easily associated with each color. For red - of coarse it had to be an apple.  For orange, I made a little goldfish because honestly what toddler hasn't had a goldfish cracker?
For yellow, I made a sun.  It turned out a bit wonky, but I guess that's what happens when I try to just wing it while I'm cutting a shape out.  For green, it was a nice simple green leaf. 
For blue, I made a little blue bird (although it looks a little like an Easter Peep or that could just be the pregnancy hormones/cravings talking.....).  And for purple, not wanting to go with a bunch of grapes as I wasn't sure how to make that, I went with a simple flower.
Of coarse to ensure that all shapes, characters, and symbols that I used are recognizable by most toddlers, I tested the page out on my son and without too much prompting, he figured out what everything was.  Gotta love having a test subject from my target audience living right under my own roof! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment