Thursday, July 30, 2015

Barn Quilt

 
I can tell that my husband gets me and humors me, and that I've possibly corrupted him with my quilty obsession when he suggested that we make a barn quilt to hang up on the house we just bought.  *biggest grin ever*   So after perusing Pinterest quite obsessivly for a while, I stumbled onto this Acadia National Park quilt block and knew it was the perfect fit.  You see, my husband and I had honeymooned in Acadia National Park and just loved the place.  Someday, I hope we get to go back.  I loved the idea of doing a barn quilt of a quilt block that represented the park and in colors that reminded me of being there. 
 One evening my husband was good enough to take the kids while I ran over the the hardware store where I got all the supplies I needed - plywood, paint, brushes, tape, clear coat sealer, etc. Thankfully, I'm not afraid of some quilty math and the block that I picked out to do could be broken down into a grid pattern so it was easy enough to draw it onto the board.  Armed with some painters tape, I taped off each color one at a time and started painting. 
 It took about a week to do since each color needed 2-3 coats and needed to dry overnight before I could move onto the next color.  But the end result was so well worth the time it took. 
 We haven't decided yet where to hang it up on the outside of the house, but hopefully soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment