Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Retro Plaid Quilt or The End of Year Teacher Gift Quilt

 Sometimes I get an idea of something I want to make for a specific person, but then I start to second guess myself and can almost talk myself out of doing it.  Thankfully, I have crafty friends who get the need to make and usually talk me back into it.  That was the case with this quilt.  I had kind of wanted to make a quilt for my oldest son's preschool teacher for an end of year gift because she has been such a fantastic teacher and I have seen so many positive changes in my son since he has been in her class.  But then I started second guessing myself that maybe it would be too much or that she wouldn't like it or yeah...  Thankfully, I was chatting with my friend Sarah Thursday morning, and I brought up the idea for the quilt for Ben's teacher.  She totally jumped at the idea and her excitement gave me the permission I needed in order to go make this quilt all ready! 
 
Before I could talk myself out of making the quilt again, I set right to work making the quilt.  I had spotted this fun Retro Plaid quilt by Suzy Quilts and knew it would be a fun modern quilt to make that would fit my son's teacher's personality really well.  During nap/rest time Thursday afternoon, I printed off the pattern, pulled some long forgotten fabric from my stash and even with kid interruptions, by 5 o'clock I had a completed quilt top!  woot woot!
Friday morning, I ran into JoAnn's to pick up some lovely aqua blue minky for the back of the quilt.  That afternoon I got the quilt basted and started on quilting it and by Saturday night, the quilt was completely finished!  I love when a quilt comes together so quickly. :)
Even though it was a bit gray out today, I made my husband stop by a lake on the way home from church this morning to snap a few pictures of the finished quilt. 
I hope that my son's teacher will like it and will know how appreciated her influence on his life has been.

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I love this pattern, and your fabric selections are perfect. The pops of red in the middle are so eye catching. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I stumbled onto your blog! Your Retro Plaid quilt is beeeautiful!

    ReplyDelete