Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Crocus Falling Stars Quilt

Lately, I've had an every growing list of things I should be sewing and things I should be making.  And lately, I've been just plain exhausted from keeping up with my two boys.  So, as you can imagine, any motivation to sew has been kind of low. Especially since the growing list of things I "should" sew is feeling a bit creativly stifling. 
So anyways, this past Sunday morning, I was looking at my recent order of zippers and was fascinated by the color combination. 
 Aren't those colors pretty?  Well, after lunch Sunday afternoon, I still couldn't get the colors out of my head and before I new it, I had this little pile of fabric pulled from my stash and paired with a quilt idea I'd scribbled out on some graph paper a little while ago.
 My dear sweet husband was willing to humor me and since the boys were both in pretty chill moods Sunday afternoon, I set to work turning an idea into a quilt.
 I decided to do a spin on a star quilt by using half rectangle triangles and keeping the shapes simple.  I added some interest into the quilt by varying the sizes of the blocks.
 By dinner time, I had this sweet little quilt top all put together.  The boys' bedtime couldn't come soon enough.
 I pulled some soft aqua blue dot minky from my stash for the backing on the quilt and did a quick job of basting this quilt thanks to spray baste!
 It had been a while since I gave a quilt the spiral treatment and it seemed like a nice simple way to accent this quilt. 
 Keeping the spiral quilt lines spaced at 1.5 inches apart, the quilting of this quilt went pretty quickly and before I knew it, it was time to trim up the quilt and get some binding ready for it.
 I happened to have the prefect fabric in my stash for the binding - a nice teal blue with hints of pink and green in it which tied in nicely with the colors of this quilt.
 By bedtime (ok, well more like an hour past bedtime), I had a mostly finished quilt!  It still need a couple of threads buried from the quilting and the label needed to be finished, but still not so bad for an afternoon and evening's worth of work. 
 I finally had a chance this afternoon to get some photos of the finished quilt out in the sunshine.  I love how bright those stars look on the white background.  They almost remind me crocuses peaking up through the snow - hence the name "Crocus Falling Stars".
 Indulge me while I overshare for a second. 
 That binding is just the perfect touch to tie into the colors of the quilt.
That spiral quilting on the back is just so good.
 Last one!  Thanks for humoring me. :) It felt really good to just ignore the "list" and make for the sake of making simply because an idea popped into my head.

You can find this quilt listed in my Etsy shop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment