Saturday, April 23, 2016

More For The Sake of Play

After cranking out tons of yarn bowls for wholesale and prepping for a craft show, I was feeling in a sewing funk. So I decided to take this week and just play with scraps and ideas I've been putting off and just have fun sewing for the sake of sewing versus sewing with a deadline. And it. felt. good.  On Thursday, I made the rainbow mini quilt as seen in the previous post. And on Friday, I pulled out a pile of hexagons that have been sitting basted just waiting to come to life since last summer.
I didn't really have a plan of what I wanted to do with them so I just played around laying then or on a large scrap of white fabric until I had an arrangement I liked. I then glued them on and quilted them down based on a tutorial by Modern Domestic for making "Modern Hexies".
It turned out quite fun and I even had some scraps of binding left over from other projects that complimented the mini quilt quite nicely. 
So this has become my favorite way of labeling my quilts lately - a nice little corner label with minimal hand sewing and just enough information to know it's mine. 
It felt good to just play and have fun and to sew for the sake of sewing and making something new and beautiful. 
I added this mini quilt along with some I've made previously and 2 I received in swaps last year to a little corner of my bedroom.  I'm in love with how they look all hung up together. My husband doesn't even seem to mind too much - he says it's cute because it's "me". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment