Friday, April 22, 2016

Rainbowey Scraps

This past fall, I made up a pile of tic tac toe blocks to donate to the #quiltblockstohealviolence project headed up by Jackie Gillis over on Instagram.  I was left with a whole pile of little half square triangles left over from making the blocks and I couldn't bear to just throw them out.
Instead, they have been sitting all together in a baggy in my scrap bin.  Well, yesterday, we had a rainy day after a week of gorgeous spring weather providing a needed break from all the yard work I've been doing.  And since I didn't have any pressing projects that I wanted to or needed to be working on, I decided to pull out those scraps and just play.  Half square triangles are so fun to play with and when they are in rainbow order - oh the possibilities!!
I went with a rainbowey diagonal stripe layout and just had fun sewing up those tiny triangles - not stressing too much about getting them perfect.
I framed it with some Essex yarn dyed linen and went to town quilting it.  Two layers of batting combined with matchstick quilting made for all kinds of yummy texture on this little quilt.
Feeling lazy and not wanting to make some new binding, I dug through my binding scraps and found enough of this teal blue Pie Making Day fabric from 3 different projects to use as binding for this mini quilt! Score!
And now I've got a sweet little mini quilt for my wall and a day well spent playing with scraps and color. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment