Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Oldest Work in Progress Quilt

By this point, I've made quite a few quilts (I really need to catch up on my list so I can tell just how many). But somehow, my poor husband was still suffering along with a sadly too short tied fleece blanket.  He loves it though because the fleece is a dragon print, but still - way too short! And it was starting to look a bit out of place on the coach with all the pretty throw quilts and quilted pillows I've been making and adding onto the coach. It was time to get this guy a quilt!
Now, let me take you back - way way way back to April 2013 to that time when I made these throw pillows for my husband.  Yeah....that was a while ago.  Well, anyways, I never liked those pillows - they turned out smaller than what I had wanted and so they weren't really of much use as actual throw pillows on the coach.  And so I stuffed them into a box and forgot about them for a while (my poor husband...).  Finally, before Christmas 2014, I decided that I would cut apart those pillows and turn them into a quilt for my husband which would be a little bit more useful. Well, that certainly didn't happen in time for that Christmas or for his birthday that following spring.  Finally, I was determined to finish his quilt in time for Christmas 2015.  And I did - sort of.  I got the quilt top all pieced together in time for this past Christmas, so on Christmas morning my husband opened a box with just a quilt top in it.  haha....yeah, he's such a good sport and loved it even though it wasn't finished (and was like oh, that's where those pillows went!). 
But it all worked out because my husband wanted to have a say in picking out the backing and naturally he went with an ultra cuddle minky backing.  I even tried my hand at doing woodgrain free motion quilting on his quilt - thanks to some inspiration from Christina Lane over at Sometimes Crafter. I LOVE how the quilting turned out and it really helped to take a quilt I was feeling meehhh about and turned it into a pretty fab quilt!
 I finished this quilt up last weekend and it has all ready seen quite a bit of loving from my husband and the kids and myself while on the coach.  It feels really good to finally gift my husband his very own quilt and to also finally clear out one of my very oldest work in progress projects.  Although, I did learn a few things while finishing up this quilt - most importantly to never ever leave a quilt half finished for so long because I'll fall out of love with it as my tastes change!  However, even if I have fallen out of love with it, my husband does love it and that is what matters. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment