Monday, July 28, 2014

Thinking Pink

 So since my family had been inundated by baby boys over the last could of years, I find that so much of my sewing revolves around boy colors and boy novelty print fabrics. Which while a lot of fun, can seem a little one dimensional. Thankfully, I have friends who have and are having baby girls!  Earlier this month I got to pull out some pink fabric and go all girly in my sewing.  And while not a pink or girly girl myself, I still loved the change in pace with my sewing. 
At the end of June I needed a quick, easy, cute and practical gift for a very specially lady who has been such a sweet lady in my life since our move here to Michigan last fall.  She was expecting her 4th baby girl and I wanted to make her little girl something special.  After checking out her baby registry and noticing that she had baby bath towels on there, I decided to put together a set of hooded bath towels for her.  I had made some previously for my new baby and for one of my nephews which you can find here and here
After making up my own template for a flower applique pattern, I used some pink and purple fabrics in my stash for the applique and the binding around the edge of the towels.  I had picked up these aqua colored towels from Target on a sale since there weren't any nice girly colored ones.  As a happy coincidence, this color blue happens to be my friend's favorite color! :) 
Another friend of mine whose son used to go to the same daycare as my son when we lived back in Buffalo, New York follows me on Instagram and when I posted a picture of the car seat canopy I made for our (at that time) unborn baby, she insisted that I make her one as well.  Since she isn't due with their baby girl until the end of summer, it was put on the waiting list until after our baby was born.  
So, Baby was born and I was getting back into the swing of things with my sewing.  After some going back and forth with my friend, we got the fabric picked out and I had so much fun sewing together a very girly hot pink and whimsical car seat canopy for her baby girl!  The pattern is by Elizabeth Wyatt and a PDF download of her pattern can be found in her Etsy shop here
 
I also whipped together two wet bags and a pacifier leash/clip out of the left over pink and black materials but I forgot to snap a picture of those before I shipped everything out to my friend.  
Now that I've had a taste of sewing for girls, I'm excited to make more adorable items for little girls in my future.  Maybe my Etsy shop will stop looking a little lop-sided with so much boy stuff! ;)
Stay tuned! 

~maggie

 *The picture at the top of this post was taken of the flowers and ferns that are growing like crazy in the empty lot next to our house.  Simply gorgeous!  




No comments:

Post a Comment