Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Little Bit of EPP

Since discovering English Paper Piecing a few months ago, I love having some EPP projects on hand to be puttering with in between bigger projects or to take with me when I attend the local quilt guild meetings.  After seeing Nicole of Modern Handcraft post on Instagram about the fantastic storage container she found at Target to hold her EPP work, well...I had to get one too. 
 I love it!  Its perfect to hold all of my EPP supplies and a few small projects all at once.  It closes tightly so I don't have to worry about little fingers getting into it, and it travels well too. 
Here are a few of the EPP Projects I've done over the last month or so.  This first one I made from scraps left over from making my February Bee Block.  It's made with 3/4" hexagons so it's a bit teeny to work with.  I sent it along with some other goodies to the Queen Bee for February.  
 And because these hexi pin cushions are a bit addicting to make, I decided to make a couple out of Priory Square fabric.  These two were a bit bigger - I think made out of 1.5" and 1" hexagons.  I made the bigger one for a friend but then I didn't like how big it turned out so I ended up making the second smaller one.  I've yet to catch up with my friend to see which size she wants.  I swear that every time I work with Priory Square fabric doing EPP, it's like the fabric was designed with EPP in mind - the fussy cutting that comes from it, is just perfect. 
 I fell in love with the combination of these two Cotton + Steel prints when making my Tudor Bag.  I decided to make a hexagon pin cushion caddy based off of a tutorial I had seen on Valerie Rigney's Instagram feed. Well.... It was one of those projects that for some reason, I didn't read the directions right and by the time I realized that, it was a challenge to correct my mistake and salvage the project.  
 I thought I had salvaged the project, but then after stuffing it, I just couldn't get the inside of the caddy to work and the shape overall to look right.  
 So, I cut it all apart!  Decided it was better to rip it apart and turn it into something else than to try to live with a project that I didn't love.  ;)
 Since there had been two of the caddies cut out, I turned them both into two larger hexagon pin cushions.  One for me, and one for my Spring Fling Mini Quilt Swap partner.  For all of these pin cushions, I've been raiding an old jar of buttons that used to belong to my husband's grandmother.  I love being able to pull out something old to add to something new. 
 Here is a size comparison between a 1.5" hexagon pin cushion and a 3/4" hexagon pin cushion. 
And lastly, I've been working on making another La Passacaglia Mini Quilt.  When I had originally cut out the La Passacaglia mini quilt that I made for the Schnitzel & Boo Mini Quilt Swap back in December, I had cut a second cog out.  But as the mini progressed, I changed plans a bit and didn't need the second cog.  Since I loved how the original turned out so much, I decided to put together the abandoned cog wheal for myself.  It's slow going and I usually only pull it out when I go to the local quilt guild meetings which equates to only a couple hours worth of work on it per months.  But maybe, eventually, I'll get a La Passacaglia quilt that I can keep for myself. 
Here I'm working on making some star units.  You can see the start of the center of the cog in the first picture at the top of this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment