Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Buzz Buzz - March

March 2nd - Bam!  The bee block for March was done, extra goodies made and selected, everything all packaged up, and on its way to Queen Bee Michael Ann (she can be found at michaelannmade although she is more active on Instagram)!  Honestly, I doubt that this success rate will continue, but for now, I'll enjoy the smugness of getting it done so early in the month! 
When the Wanta Fanta Block for the #thebeehivequilts was released on February 23rd, I fell in love with the block!  It looked like a lot of fun to put together, plus the repeating pattern that multiple block put together produced was fantastic! So, imagine how excited I was when Queen Bee Michael Ann pick it for her bee block.  And then she went and picked one of my favorite color combinations - blue, green and violet for the main part of the block and low volumes for the background.  And she wanted it all to be scrappy looking.  Perfect!!
 I was so excited by my fabric pull that I jumped right into making the block.  It's a paper pieced block, but once I had everything cut out, the block went together pretty quickly since the units could be chained pieced together.  
 And done!  Love love love it.  I can hardly wait to see what the other ladies in my swarm come up with and how they will all look together. 
When making the two snowball units for this block, I ended up with these eight 1.5" (un-finished) half square triangle units.  They were just too cute not to do something with.  
 I've seen different versions of the Dumpling Pouch pop up over on Instagram and this seemed like the perfect chance to give it a try. 
 So I pieced together the half square triangles.  Pieced together two different faces for a Dumpling pouch.  Lightly quilted it onto Fusible Fleece. 
Pulled a zipper out of my zipper stash, and tada - this little cutie was born!
Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but still adorable.
I pulled a few other fun things together to send along with the block including the dumpling I just made.  I also added in a stack of fabric that I didn't want anymore that Michael Ann said she could use for a charity quilt she is putting together (she is making a second block each month so at the end of the 12 months, she will have enough blocks to make a sampler quilt for charity). 
And just like that, by March 2nd everything was in the mail.  Yay!  She got it today and loved it!  Humble worker bee can't ask for better than that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment