Thursday, March 19, 2015

New Diaper Bag

At the end of February I had made a Tudor Bag based off of Sew Sweetness's pattern.  I've been using it everywhere I went since then.  I really wanted to use it as a diaper bag and if it's just a short errand out, I can fit what I need into it for the kids.  But I realized I needed something a bit bigger to fit everything I need for both kids for the days we are out longer.  Instead of looking for another bag pattern, I decided to make another Tudor Bag to use as a diaper bag and just add 2 inches to the width and length of it to make it big enough for what I needed. 
I had a half yard of this Forest Friendzy Forest Friends in Navy by Greta Lynn for Kanvas in my stash.  I love this print and wish I had gotten more than the 1/2 yard I did.  I pulled it out of my stash along with a few other choices for the diaper bag, and after showing the choices to my husband, this was the one he picked.  I'm glad he did.  After cutting out the panels for the outside of the bag, I had this little green hedgehog left over, perfectly cut to the size needed for the zipper tab.
I ended up having to get creative in my use of fabric for the bag since I didn't have any really big cuts of coordinating fabrics to work with.  But I like how it turned out.  It's fun and definitely a kid's bag, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I especially like that I took a little extra time to quilt the outside fabric onto the Soft 'n Stable interfacing.  It's such a great quilty texture to the outside of the bag.
I ended up add in some elastic topped pockets to the ends on the inside of the bag to hold things like sippy cups and bottles.  But otherwise, I kept the construction of the bag pretty close to the original pattern and pretty simple. 

The size of this bag is perfect!  I've all ready used it a couple of times and it holds EVERYTHING and there is still room left over!  And yes, the above photo is the entire contents that I typically have stuffed into this bag - two wet bags, a change of clothes for the toddler and for the baby, a container of puffs, a sippy cup, a bottle, formula, diapers, wipes, toys for both kids, lovie, burp cloth, crayons, hand sanitizer, candy and snacks, pacifier, pacifier/toy leashes, baby powder, diaper garbage bags, and my wallet!  Damn....kids require so much crap. 
But see - enough room for everything.  I could probably get a baby blanket in there as well if I needed to.  Best parts - its super comfortable to carry every loaded up with all that stuff.  And my husband is willing to carry it around since it has a moose on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment